Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Picot Swirl Cloth


Picot Swirl Cloth in two sizes:

Size: 9 inches
Materials:
Worsted weight cotton yarn
Size 7 knitting needles
Darning needle


Notes: Slip stitches: as if to knit.Picot edging: Add one stitch then bind it off using the knitting-on method at the beginning of Rows 2, 6, 10, etc. to form the picot edging. The instructions at http://www.knittinghelp.com/ assume you are at the beginning a project, so just ignore the part about beginning with a slip knot and proceed from there. It’s currently the 4th video on the basic techniques/cast on page.


CO 20 stitches leaving 12 inches of yarn for drawing in the center of the cloth.
Row 1: Knit across
Row 2: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 18 stitches (1 st remains on needle), turn.
Row 3 & all remaining odd rows: Slip 1 st, knit to the end of the row.
Row 4: Slip 1 st, knit 17 sts, (2 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 6: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 16 sts (3 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 8: Slip 1 st, knit 15 sts (4 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 10: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 14 sts (5 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 12: Slip 1 st, knit 13 sts (6 sts remain on left needle), turn.
Row 14: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 12 sts (7 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 16: Sl 1 st, knit 11 sts (8 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 18: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 10 sts (9 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 20: Sl 1 st, knit 9 sts, (10 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 22: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 8 sts (11 stitches remain on needle), turn.
Row 24: Sl 1 st, knit 7 sts, (12 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 26: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 6 sts (13 stitches remain on needle), turn.
Row 28: Sl 1 st, knit 5 sts, (14 stitches remain on needle), turn.
Row 30: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 4 sts (15 stitches remain on needle), turn.
Row 32: Sl 1 st, knit to the end of the row.
Repeat rows 1-32 five more times for a total of six slightly swirled wedges.

Bind off loosely (use larger knitting needle if necessary.)
Leave enough yarn to sew seam using the darning needle.
Draw in center using darning needle & beginning cast on yarn.
Weave in ends.
Copyright © 2007 Toni in the Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Questions?mailto:distaff18c@yahoo.com
http://www.foothillsofthegreatsmokymountains.blogspot.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





Picot Swirl Cloth

Size: 7 ½ inches
Materials:
Worsted weight cotton yarn
Size 7 knitting needles
Darning needle

Notes:
Slip stitches: as if to knit.
Picot edging: Add one stitch then bind it off using the knitting-on method at the beginning of Rows 2, 6, 10, etc. to form the picot edging. The instructions at http://www.knittinghelp.com/ assume you are at the beginning a project, so just ignore the part about beginning with a slip knot and proceed from there. It’s currently the 4th video on the basic techniques/cast on page.


CO 16 stitches leaving 12 inches of yarn for drawing in the center of the cloth.

Row 1: Knit across
Row 2: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 14 stitches (1 st remains on
left needle), turn.
Row 3 & all remaining odd rows: Slip 1 st, knit to the end of the row.
Row 4: Slip 1 st, knit 13 sts, (2 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 6: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 12 sts (3 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 8: Slip 1 st, knit 11 sts (4 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 10: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 10 sts (5 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 12: Slip 1 st, knit 9 sts (6 sts remain on left needle), turn.
Row 14: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 8 sts (7 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 16: Sl 1 st, knit 7 sts (8 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 18: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 6 sts (9 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 20: Sl 1 st, knit 5sts, (10 sts remain on needle), turn.
Row 22: Cast on 1 stitch, bind off 1 stitch, knit 4 sts (11 stitches remain on needle), turn.
Row 24: Sl 1 st, knit to the end of the row.
Repeat rows 1-24 six more times for a total of seven slightly swirled wedges.

Bind off loosely (use larger knitting needle if necessary.)
Leave enough yarn to sew seam using the darning needle.
Draw in center using darning needle & beginning cast on yarn.
Weave in ends.

Copyright © 2007 Toni in the Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

mailto: foothillsgsm@yahoo.com

http://www.foothillsofthegreatsmokymountains.blogspot.com/

22 comments:

  1. Tea, Love it! So pretty! Thanks for sharing...definitely on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! What a pretty color too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really LIKE this cloth!! I'm so glad you decided to leave it up! It's elegant and beautiful in it's simplicity and a great choice for varigated yarn! I've been looking for somthing like this to use my varigateds on!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

    Hugs
    Alli

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! The color is perfect! I want one! lol, *begins feverishly knitting* Especially since ALL i have right now is variegated! WOOT! I can see a pretty pile of these in my bathroom! MINE! ALL MINE!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty...thanks for the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH My that is goregous!!
    I have to admit that I am an advanced crocheter and a VERY newbie knitter!!
    I will have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! It's gorgeous!! I just bought some new cotton yesterday that will look great worked up in your pattern! Thank you so much for sharing Tea! I'm glad you left it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really nice! Thanks for writing a pattern to share!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tea, I started on one already...posted progress on my blog. LOVE IT, LOVE IT!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a new, self-taught knitter who has been wanting to do a round cloth for awhile, but I've been afraid. I have to tell you, I picked up some size 6's that were sitting at my desk and a ball of Key Lime Pie and have already done two repeats! I'm so happy you posted this pattern for us. Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow... i love it. thanks for the pattern. I'll make this in my CHristmas gift baskets! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tea, it's so pretty with the picot edging! many thanks to you for sharing this with us!~ Lady, take a bow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks...it is so pretty - i´ll give it a try..
    lilian
    denmark

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is one of my favorite cloths to make! It's fast and easy - and always leaves people wondering, "how'd you do that???"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this pattern. It is pretty- truly reversible, and the variegated yarn stripes so nicely, much better than with diagonal or square knit patterns. It is practical- no holes to get snagged, and the ribbing makes a good scrubbing surface. AND it's a delight to knit, no counting rows or stitches once you've done a few wedges. I found a full cone of Christmas cotton in my stash and am going to make a ton of these for gifts; I love working on small things in the summer! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was fun to knit. I do have a couple questions though. When it came time to seam it , mine puckered. Was wondering why and what the technique was you used to seam it. Was it the mattress stitch?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rebecca, I always just us a whip stitch making sure it doesn't draw the seam too tight. I'm glad you enjoyed knitting the cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are darling! Just a little different than the usual 6 to 12 scallops, and I like it!! Can't wait to make a stack! Wish there was a 3" to 4" pattern for Facial Wash Pads! I would love to make a stack for each of my girls to use with the DIY Organic Facial Cleanser I make for them. And they would make great Christmas Gifts to go with my Baskets of Organic Cleansers, Creams, and Balms, that I am planning.
    Thank you again for the pattern, and let me know if you would consider resizing it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Stacy! Thank you, and I'm glad you like the cloth pattern. You can use sport weight cotton yarn and smaller needles,and the cloth would be the size you are wanting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just recently found this pattern and it's just what I needed to make my Christmas dish cloths. I bought a large spool of the Christmas tri color cotton and it looks like a mint when I get done and the picot edge just fancies it up a bit. Thanks so much for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this pattern. I have been making it for a couple of years and everyone I make one for raves about it. I especially like that it is in 2 sizes. I made a stack of small ones for my bathroom and a stack of big ones for the kitchen. Fun and easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather, I appreciate you letting me know you like it. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!