Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Goodman's Gaiter

A neck warmer that is so easy to work up even the newest knitter will have it finished in an evening. The directions are very simple, but for those who prefer pattern format…enjoy.

Knit entirely in 2x1 ribbing using chunky yarn your Goodman’s Gaiter will be completed before the next snow flies, and your own good man will appreciate that it is entirely handsome, not-so-bunchy, yet quite warm.

Methods:

Long-tail cast-on

Stretchy bind-off

Materials:

1 skein bulky/chunky yarn. Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky shown.

Size 10.5 circular needles, 16-24 in.

Cast on 72 sts.

Place marker. Join in the round.

Knit 2, purl 1 around.

Repeat until piece measures 8 inches long or until the skein is nearly used up.

Bind off using:

a. *Knit 2 tog through the back loops (or front, either or, but not both; just be consistent in which you choose.) Place this new stitch on the needle in your left hand and repeat from * until there is one stitch left. Cut yarn and pull the end through the loop & weave in the ends.
Poof. You’re done.
Worn scrunched down, folded over or pulled up around the ears he will be comfy. Awwww.
Later, Gaiter.
Copyright © 2009 Toni in the Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another goodly event here in the foothills, we're under a beautiful blanket of freshly fallen snow. The heavens opened up yesterday and showered us with unmatchable loveliness.

11 comments:

  1. Oh I love the gaiter! It does look warm and comfy! Goodman is sure to get plenty of use out of it with all that snow you have!!

    I should have written "electronic" not electric about the sewing machine. *Doh* :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so DONE with snow, where is Spring? LOL But I ahve to admit the pictures of it are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Goodman's Gaiter; the color is so nice.

    YEAH!! You FINALLY got snow! lol It's still here in West Virginia and supposed to hit again. Maybe it will just stop in Tennessee and stay there for a while.

    Have a great time playing in it!
    Lesley Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving all the neckwarmer patterns I see popping up all over the internet. I wish they'd have been plentiful when I first learned to knit, for, as you said, they are so quick a knit that a beginner can get nearly instant gratification.

    I like how manly yours looks, and think my 'good' man would enjoy one of those, too. Thaks for sharing the pattern! ;-)

    I'm very jealous of your snow, from here in the land-of-rarely-ever-snows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely neckwarmer and a great pattern, thank you!

    Yay for the snow! I'm so happy you finally have snow. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the picture of the snow. I'm going to have to try that pattern. I can never find anything to make the hubby besides afghan's, but then I use them more than he does. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great chunky gaiter! just right for
    playing in the snow! Mr. Groundhog
    must have seen his shadow! BRRRRRR!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't you just love the look of a fresh snowfall?!!! Great pictures.
    I will have to make my man a gaiter too. With all of the cold we have been having I'm sure it will keep him toasty. Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodman's gaiter is very manly ;) Thanks for sharing the pattern!
    Very handsome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! I didn't happen to have any chunky yarn in the color he wanted, so I used 2 strands of worsted weight yarn and a number 10 needle with 72 stitches and a 2 x 2 rib. So I guess I used your pattern as a jumping off point, but it worked great with the supplies I had on hand. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!