Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Fleece Blankets

Got fleece? Got blanket binding? Good! Let's make some blankets..
For a baby or child you can use 1 to 1 1/2 yards of fleece & 1- 2 packages of blanket binding.
For an adult 2 yards of fleece and 2 packages of binding will make a nice sized blanket. First, calculate how many yards of binding you'll need for your blanket & sew together enough binding to go all the way around plus another 12 inches for overlapping the ends and the seam allowance. Sew the beginning of one package of binding to the end of the other in order to match the fold in the binding. Press the matching ends open; sew a 1/2 inch seam. Press the seam open then re-press the fold where you joined the binding.
Trim any curling or undyed selveges from the sides of the fleece. Pin the binding onto the fleece along one side. Do not begin at a corner.
Zigzag stitch to the corner, backstitch a few stitches & break the thread.
Miter the corner & pin in place. Mitering is easy after you've sewn all the way to the corner. Start zigzag stitching a few inches before the corner and proceed to the next corner mitering each corner as before. When you reach where you started cut the binding leaving plenty to fold under & overlap ends. Pin in place & finish sewing, backstitching the last stitches. Finished...
I sure got a good reaction when this horse blanket was opened. :)
I made a total of four of these blankets (with binding) last week to give as gifts.
Latte anyone?
Go for a spin?
And I couldn't find blanket binding in a color that looked good with this one so I did blanket stitching around it using worsted weight yarn & a big-eyed needle. Have a great week, Y'all!
Linking with Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop,  The Art of Home-Making Mondays
Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

18 comments:

  1. Another talent....you been holding back girl! I love your blankets! They all turned out so good. That binding reminds me of the blankets we had when I was a little girl. Put my name on the list for the next batch...hint, hint...wink, wink. lol
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blankets, you are so talented, and the instructions are a great plus.
    Thanks
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blankets are gorgeous, especially the horses and the puppies! I love the binding also. What a talent you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the blankets. The latte blanket is my cup of coffee/tea LOLOL hint, hint, hint. I think I need to get some fleece ;-)

    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those blankets are awesome...my sister would love one of those with the satin binding all the way around. Ever since she was a baby she needed her blanket with the satin...Still even today when she'd tired :) Thanks for the how to's...I'll have to keep that in mind for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blankets. So, cute... and the reaction is priceless! What a great idea to add binding to fleece. I just do the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the blankets :-) Where is mine :-) Tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  8. great fleece prints! super sewing
    tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those blankets you made and thank you for the instructions!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cloth is beautiful, and I LOVE the blankets! I love fleece. :) I think the dog blanket is my favorite. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blankets!! Happy New Year to you and your family, wishing you all the best!

    You are a talented woman indeed! I love the puppy blanket! I thought they were real little puppies, they are so cute! I just know all these blankets will get lots of love.

    Smiles...

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great instructive photos. Better than anything on the official sewing sites. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, the bindings on these blankets remind me of the blankets we had at home when I was a child. The binding gives them such a fancy look, and the fleece is so nice to snuggle up in! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, I was just trying to figure this out yesterday with my 86 year old mother. We couldn't decide what the best way to put the blanket binding on. I am making a little blanket for my first grandbaby. I had already basted the binding and was deciding what the best way to sew it, even if the ends were sewn closed. I just happen to read your blog this morning. It was fate, I tell you. Thank you so much for clearing my head with the right sewing technique.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This tutorial was very helpful. Here is a link to the blanket I made using your technique. I linked back to your tutorial too. http://thespunkydiva.net/baby-bear-fleece-blankets/
    ~Kimberlee, www.thespunkydiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea and easy sewing project, just my style! My daughter would give the same response for that horse blanket too :) Thanks for sharing this post on our link up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!