Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Self-Heal, An Herbal Remedy

Have you noticed this herb growing in your lawn or pasture? If so, you have the makings of a sore throat remedy close at hand. I was unfamiliar with self-heal until recently, but it's been used for sore throats, to staunch bleeding wounds, to treat heart disease, bruises and more for many years. It's properties are anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-viral.  AND the plants supply vitamins C,  K and thiamine. 


Photos of self-heal courtesy of our daughter in Virginia.

The following excerpt is from britannica.com:
{self-heal, Perennial weed (Prunella vulgaris) in the mint family, native to North America and widespread throughout the continent. Growing 6–14 in. (14–36 cm) tall, self-heal is often a low weed in lawns. The often-prostrate branches root readily wherever they touch soil. Tiny, two-lipped, lilac-coloured or white flowers are clustered into noticeable dense, spikes. Leaves have sparsely toothed or smooth margins. Regarded in medieval times as a cure-all, the dried leaves and flowers are still brewed for soothing sore throats.}


Top view.
I first heard of self-heal earlier this year while reading a post by Mary Ann, who was born and raised in an Amish community. You can read the post at  A Joyful Chaos. She didn't know what it was called, but after seeing the picture at her site my daughter and I identified it as self-heal. 

Upright spike surrounded by whorls of tiny mouth shaped flowers. The leaves are sword-like. Stem may be 4-sided.
Although self-heal is widespread, I had searched our yard and pasture several times but couldn't find the plant on our property. (That'll be remedied as soon as possible.)


We were visiting our daughter in Virginia over the weekend and got an up-close look and a supply of it to have on hand for when the inevitable sore throat appears.



As it happens I'm trying it out today since I woke this morning with a sore throat. It does have a soothing effect on the throat, probably due to the tannin it contains.  I brewed about a tablespoon of the whole plant (dried) to make two cups of tea.  I added some raw honey and a squeeze of lemon for flavor, but self-heal is not bad tasting at all. It's in the mint family so it doesn't really taste like a weed. 



Self-heal is reported to diminish the length of time a sore throat sticks around. I'll let you know how mine does, but in any case,  I'm definitely adding self-heal to my herbal medicine chest. 

ETA: I drank a total of two cups of self-heal tea the day I woke with a sore throat. My throat felt better as the day went by. The next morning it was barely sore at all. Today is the third day, and I have no trace of soreness.  I believe I'd call self-heal a "sore throat tea", too, just as it was known to Mary Ann in the Amish community. 

See a physician in case of a serious sore throat.
I'm not a doctor - I just know a good thing when I try it, and it works for me.

                                     Linking to Wildcrafting Wednesday

                                        The Thankful HomeAcre Hop

27 comments:

  1. it is pretty, as well as helpful. i don't think i've seen it growing here in ne tx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen it in east TN? I assume that's where you live based on your blog. We live there too and I've never seen this before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacki, the only place I've looked here in E. Tenn. is my yard and pasture with no luck finding it, but that doesn't mean it's not around. I'm hoping to find it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are feeling better soon, my friend. I think it is too dry where I live for this wonderful plant to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen it my whole life in the yard. I've picked it many times as a child but didn't know it was helpful. I'm interested in the anti-inflammatory aspects of it. I hope it stops your sore throat right now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kay! Thank you, my throat is much better this morning. I think I've got a keeper with self-heal.

    Thank you, LesleyAnn! I agree, and don't forget about turmeric, it's anti-inflammatory properties give a big punch, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very sorry that you have been sick. A summer cold is just the worst! I've never heard of this self-heal herbal remedy. It's not the same thing as chicory is it? We have chicory (blue-ish, purplish flower out in the fields and alongside the roadways) everywhere! They are probably not the same. This post was very interesting! And thanks for the link to the amish blog...that was enjoyable this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just posted pictures of this today and asked for help identifying it. TexWisGirl had just seen your post, so she was johnny on the spot with the ID. I just wanted to thank you for your part in identifying my mystery flower.

    My hubby and I love the area of the country in which you live. We visit the Smokies a couple of times a year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Deb! I'm feeling so much better today. Chicory is a different plant.

    Hello Linda! Glad you found out the name of your little herbal beauty. TexWisGirl is one sharp blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be searching our field over for this now!

    I hope your throat is feeling better!

    :)Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this post, it was very interesting. I am not sure if I've ever identified self-heal where we live. I will definitely be on the lookout for it though. If I can find it local, then I will use it...I like to use herbs that are easy to find/grow and this would be a great one to add to the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, I need to head out and scout our area for this, too. I don't believe I have ever seen it anywhere, either. I'm always looking for helpful, useful herbs for our medicine chest! Your photos are very nice!
    God bless you and I love and am blessed by all your kind your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm disappointed that I don't have this plant on our property, either. Any ideas on where I could obtain some seed?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Amy! Thanks for stopping by. Copy and paste this link in your browser to find self-heal seeds for sale:
    http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/seeds/seeds.php

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great information. We are in NC. I need to look around and see if we have any. Thanks for sharing!

    Please join us again Thursday at:
    The HomeAcre Hop

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for posting about this.........I think I have seen this growing on the grounds and will have to go and see if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I still have not found this herb (self-heal) growing anywhere around! But since we are doing hay right now, I am steeping some red clover and alfalfa for tea :) With a little honey it is very good :) If I had a little of that honey sweetened frosting I would add it to the tea :)
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing on Wildcrafting Wednesday! Such a pretty little flower that most people overlook.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I recognize this flower but had no idea of its healing properties. Thanks for posting on Wildcrafting WEd.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good to 'see' you today on the blog! I hope you are doing very well in the Lord :) Blessings, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello From Michigan. WOW what a great herbal medicine for a sore throat. It is always great to give these kind of herbal treatments a go.. Thanks for sharing. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fascinating! Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great info! I think I have seen these flowers. Next year I'll have to pay more attention. :) Thanks for sharing on The Thankful HomeAcre HOp! Hope tp see you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting post. I enjoy learning about herbs and I am including them in my kitchen more and more. Some to this plant/tea might help the sore throat I've had for a couple days.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing this herbal remedy! This post has been featured from the Art of Home-Making Mondays here: http://strangersandpilgrimsonearth.blogspot.com/2014/06/herbs-that-heal-from-your-back-yard.html

    Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I live in Knoxville, TN and have it all over my front yard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. How wonderful! I am fighting a sore throat right now and I have a beautiful self-heal plant growing in the garden! I will have to give it a go! Thanks for sharing:-)

    Blessings,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!