Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Ballband Parade, Fried Green Tomatoes*

Have a cookie, I mean a Fried Green Tomato* (recipe below) while you watch the ballband parade, Y'all. It'll be alot more fun. They're best eaten by hand, but feel free to use a fork if you like. :)Now leading off the ballband parade is a sweet little P&C Shaded Pastel holding a bouquet of pastel pink crape myrtle.Following closely is the enormous Summerset (thanks CeElle) by S&C paired with a sprig of butterfly bush.
Next up, Over the Rainbow by S&C with too shadowy lemon thyme.
Last, but not least in our ballband parade is S&C Midnight Magic and special friend Lacy Picot Swirl . Hope you enjoyed the parade, folks.
A trip to HobbyLobby last week to take advantage of the S&C sale...yes, those are (eeek!) crochet hooks at the bottom of the picture.
This is a yard of upholstery fabric that I bought while at HL for only $2. Love the hokie print! I have something in mind to make with this, so I hope to get to it this week and can show you soon.
In the meantime, please have a look at Hakucho's Big Bag Pattern for recycling those plastic store bags that we all have a million of. And you must see CeElle's ballband cloths at her site, Coming-Unravelled. They're quite elegant, and don't forget to check out her free cloth patterns and gift tag downloads. Have a great week, Y'all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fried Green Tomatoes
(Crunchy when cooked and can be eaten by hand when cooled slightly. :)
Ingredients:
4-6 green medium to large tomatoes
1 1/2 cups cornmeal, I use White Lily plain or self-rising
2 eggs, beaten or water or milk, doesn't matter
peanut oil for frying
1. Wash and slice tomatoes.
2. Dip slices in water, milk or beaten egg, whichever you prefer.
3. Place dipped slces in a bag or container with enough cornmeal to coat the slices well.
Shake until well coated and let the tomato slices set in bag for 20-30 minutes shaking occasionally to keep the slices from sticking together. This puts a good/but not too thick coating on the tomatoes.
4. Deep fry at 350 degrees for 3-5 minutes or 'til golden brown. (Pan fry is okay, too.)
5. Dust lightly with salt to taste.
Hope yours turn out great!
Tea




9 comments:

  1. Hello Tea,

    I have never tried fried green tomatoes - they sound so interesting!

    I enjoyed the parade. Your narration of it was the best. :) I giggled during your every description. Your ballbands are wonderful and the flowers were beautiful. I wish that I would have made more of an effort to plant this year. I was glad to see you were in the ballband frame of mind as well.

    The forgotten color is Summerset. I had to run downstairs and check. :)

    Have a joyous week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the fried green tomatoes...they're delicious ;)

    I love your ballbands...I really like how you used just the variegated yarn and no switching of colors. I've made many, but have never even thought of trying that! Very nice...but now I think you already how how much I love that pattern!
    happy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the parade...the ballbands are so pretty. I guess it's time for me to finally try one.

    Can't wait to see what the fabric is going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all so pretty, made with just one yarn! Although, you would have to keep track of the 5 stitches, before you slip, since they are the same colors! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for Fried Green Tomato
    recipe! I always had trouble with the coating falling off and burning
    in the iron skillet(okra too)
    great tip !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those ball band cloths are soooo pretty. I havent tried the pattern yet, now I will have to. Also those fried green tomtoes look yummy. Anyone who hasnt tried fried green tomatoes is in for a treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh, ballbands, how I love them!
    Thanks for the tip on the tea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure what looks more yummy, the dishcloths or the fried green tomatoes. Being of southern blood, I am now thinking about how to get my dh to try the tomatoes....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!