Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Monday, November 5, 2007

Road Trip to Kyle Carver's Orchard in Cosby, Tennessee

I've been taking a break from knitting, sorta. Sigh. Well, I did knit this little Nubbins Dishcloths in Peaches & Creme Royal. I started it on the road trip.
Also, I've spent some time reading Lynn Austin's 3-book series titled Refiner's Fire set in the Civil War Era. It's very thought provoking to say the least.
We took a little road trip, Y'all, to Kyle Carver's Orchard in Cosby, Tenn. The scenery made the trip nearly as fun as getting to the orchard.
We were in search of some old fashioned Winesaps (and a few peppers since the price was right. Have you noticed what they're wanting for red peppers in the grocery stores?) These were .25.
It took about an hour to get there. It's a very popular spot with their 100 varieties of apples grown on their 220 some acres of rolling hills. Here's one of the barns.
A view of the orchard from the restuarant. Oh, yes, the food is good! I had catfish w/ coleslaw and pinto beans. Yum! They serve you a small glass of cider with a couple of apple fritters per person while you wait. Try to get a table near the windows if you go, and allow plenty of time to look around. There are lots of apples to choose from and a candy store on the premises, too. It's a nice little trip.

Have a good week, Y'all!

19 comments:

  1. Yum, what you had at the restaurant sounds so good. Very pretty scenery too. Yes, red peppers are outrageous. I usually grow some just because of that, but they didn't do to well this year.

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, what you had at the restaurant sounds so good. Very pretty scenery too. Yes, red peppers are outrageous. I usually grow some just because of that, but they didn't do to well this year.

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Okay, that didn't seem to work, I'll try again. Silly Blogger.)

    Those pictures are glorious--thank you for posting them, and I'm glad you got to go!

    --AlisonH at spindyeknit.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah that was a nice little trip and what a deal on the peppers and apples. Thanks for the photos, I so love the mountains but haven't been in a little over a year. Sounds like some yummy eats too!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy, first let me say the food sounds delicious, and those apples look pretty good too! I had no idea there were close to 100 varieties of apples! I remember watching a Martha Stewart show and she introduced a variety to apples to her audience I was stunned to see all of them... What a beautiful drive, sounds like a wonder time was had...that great!

    You have a wonderful week....

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pictures of the Orchard :-) I love this time of year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a beautiful view! Looks like you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful pictures! The cloth looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comments on the cloths :-) I did use s&c stripes
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm new to your blog, and gal I love it!!

    We made a trip this past summer to your area...some of the prettiest mountains...I'm so glad I found you so I can keep up with all things mountain!

    I like you too because you spell y'all like I do ;)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never mind the ya'll spellin'...I just remembered I spell it different, but it makes no never mind to me! Ya'll is y'all is yawl...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, wow what a wonderful little trip. Very quaint! Love your pictures and I am glad you did manage to get in a little knitting :)

    happy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those apples. We have 2 apple trees on our property, but both had the blooms kills by a late frost this spring, so we've had to rely on the orchard down the road for our apples this year. The mountains look beautiful! I am in the process of getting packed, we leave next Wednesday. Chat at you soon
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the Carver Orchard tip!
    Have to buy some Winesaps! Gone to Cosby!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the Carver Orchard tip!
    Have to buy some Winesaps! Gone to Cosby!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, girlfriend...you are so funny! I guess I better answer some inquiring questions.
    I lost my head when I saw my pattern on Daily Knitter...screaming like a girl, yes I was! lol
    I am actually working on a teeny, tiny little thing (ssshhh...secret) that I hope to post real soon like.
    I haven't tried Diet Riet but that sounds like something I might need to do...I need all the gusto I can get.
    Thanks again!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH Toni that sounds like an awesome place.

    Hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a awesome Place - we found it several years ago and its our first stop to the mountains and our last stop before we leave the mountains - we take home bags and bags of apples to share with our friends. Best place to get a good breakfast and some apples. Its a must if you ar heading into the mountains.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!