Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Apple Orchard Tour

One of our favorite places to visit in the fall of the year is Kyle Carver Orchard in Cosby, TN. It's a beautiful spot in the mountains and there's a restaurant where you can refresh yourself once you arrive. The food is really quite good, too. I had chicken and dumplin's again this year. 

This was our view from our table in the Applehouse Restaurant. Notice the horses grazin' between rows of apple trees. Gorgeous.

 After lunch we browsed the market.

 You can buy apples in 1/2 peck bags, by the peck, half-bushel or......

 or by the bushel.

 Shelves are lined with jugs of flavored ciders....

 Locally made jams of all flavors.....

 There's fresh produce to choose from, too.

 Pumpkins are in abundance in all shapes.

 Indian corn for decorating....

 Aren't theses gourds adorable.

 Mums for potting or planting in your yard.

 And fresh-squeezed apple cider processed on the premises.

I bought a 1/2 bushel of red delicious apples and a small bag each of these beauties for cookin'. From left to right are Pinova, Candy Crisp and Arkansas Black. They're all cookin' apples. We had fried apples at breakfast this mornin'...so good.
ETA:  They are similar to what you get at a restaurant like Cracker Barrel, only better when homemade. ;)

Fried Apples
4-5 large apples (Golden Delicious are best)
4 T. butter
sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)

Peel and slice the apples. Melt butter in skillet on medium heat and add apples. Fry until tender.  Serve warm. Makes 4 servings.

Hope you're having a wonderful autumn. :)

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing back great memories! We went to an orchard very similar to this in New Hampshire several years ago. Now to find one near home here in NJ -- especially since seeing your photo tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, apples! *joy* That reminds me it's time for baking cakes. How do you make fried apples? Never tasted them and would love to.
    ps.I have missed your posts while I was away. Glad to be back! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I look at this post, the more I think we might come down soon O.o
    I can already taste fritters w/ apple butter and cold cider..sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe! I'm not used to cook with butter but I'll give it a try soon. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How neat to live near such a great place to shop, and near such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your view was truly beautiful. Loved seeing all the market goodies. Oh, How I love this time of year too. New I have never heard of fried apples, can you tell us how you do this?? Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything's gorgeous! Don't you just love Autumn? Those peppers are so beautiful. Mmmm, apple cider sounds so good. We have a little town about 45 minutes away up in the mountains called Julian. They have some gooood apple cider and a pie shop. I think DH needs to take me there ;) And thanks for the fried apple recipe, must try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Tea! Thanks for taking me to the Orchard. It was like visiting home. We were there...ooooo it's been 3 yrs now...sigh...they always have yummy things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fried apples...yum! Another thing my husband would love :) He's a huge fan of apple pie. This is the best time of the year for apples. Sure looks like the perfect place to stock up on apples...enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy ! what a tasty blog post !
    I will put Carvers on my Fall list !
    I and almost smell those apples !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful apples!! Your fried apple recipe sounds wonderful and I will most certainly be giving it a try! :)

    Continue to enjoy a beautiful Autumn in the foothills! :)

    Smiles♥

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  12. update: went to Carvers today and then to Holloways Quilts ! They were out of Rome Beauty apples ! Love the smell of all those apples !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man I am soooo home sick for the mtns.! We stop there whenever possoble when we're in town.

    ReplyDelete
  14. forgot to mention the color on the yarn label was " blue" ! Thanks for
    visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!