Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Road Trip!

Most of our hydrangeas have started to turn bronze from the heat and lack of rain, but I still like looking at them.


My sisters were here for a visit, recently, and we had a great time visiting several yarn shops.  Don't worry, I won't take you along to all of them.  Smoky Mountain Spinnery* in Gatlinburg, Tenn. is the coup de grâce when one is shopping for fiber related items so here's a little tour.


It's just off the main thoroughfare in Gatlinburg. The entrance...


Aren't these sheep the cutest.  We thought they were concrete, but they're not, they're resin and a bit pricey, but in case you're interested,  Plow & Hearth carries them. 


The Spinnery has some of the best sheep-y decor I've seen...


All manner of tools for knitting, crocheting, spinning and weaving are available, of course.


Handspun yarns were hanging nearly everywhere we looked.
Look at the gorgeously dyed roving.  I was tempted to buy them all to spin into yarn, but I was able to resist that notion, somehow.  o.O

They have several spinning wheels and looms, too.


More sheepy decor.


There were all manner of creatures sporting spin-able fibers. o.O


Some can spin yarn with their toes...evidently.


And some demonstrate how to use a loom.


I found several skeins of off-white & purple baby alpaca on sale.  The Turquoise yarn is for a nifty winter hat.  After touring the shop and finding our treasures we were ready to head to the checkout.


Look at their beautiful, old cash register!  It's an antique, of course, but it still works and brings back memories of days gone by when other stores had them.  If you're a knitter/weaver/crocheter/spinner and are going to be in the area, you'll definitely want to visit The Spinnery.


I'll leave you with a look at our "Black Iris" (that I forgot to share when it was in bloom.)


*No affiliation, just my favorite yarn store.
Have a great week Y'all!

29 comments:

  1. adorable sheepies. gorgeous iris!

    sister time is the best of times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, it was fun to go yarn shoppin' with them.

      Delete
  2. What a neat store! I am sure you had a blast with your sisters!!! Hope you didn't paint too much of the town red ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, not a bit of the town got painted red. Just that cash register got a bit o green.

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous yarn shop! We don't have anything like that here but that's the kind I hope to be able to visit one day... and spend all my savings! High quality goodies, handspun yarn, spinning equipment — a knitter's paradise.
    Thanks for the tour, I had a great time 'joining' you and your sisters in your day out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a knitter's paradise, and so fun with my sisters. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I have Baby Doll Sheep so lots of wool to work.My mom worked in a yarn shop with pay in yarn only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted sheep but never got them. I've read Baby Doll Sheep are extremely versatile and their wool like cashmere. Pea-green with envy!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing. Love anything SHEEP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. :)

      Delete
  6. What a fantastic store! It would have been too much temptation for me, I'm afraid. We don't have any quaint little yarn shops around here, for me that would be a vacation. Love 'em! Have a terrific week!

    Hugs
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane! The lil trip WAS a mini-vacation-for-a-day for me. We took the back roads and didn't even have to deal with the tourist traffic so it was relaxing for that reason alone.

      Delete
  7. Hello, lovely friend! Did you know that you have been in my thoughts for the last week or so... I was simply delighted to see this post on your blog :)

    I so enjoyed seeing inside the lovely store and the sweet sheep items brought a smile to my face.

    Wishing you a joyous and beautiful week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! Thank you for thinking of me. It's been a lil bit crazy around here for quite a while. Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  8. Oh Toni...if ever I visit your part of the world, I simply must stop in at The Spinnery! What fun it must have been to browse this wonderful store and ooh...how adorable are all the sheep inspired decor! Someday I'd like to try spinning...it sounds like great fun and just think - homespun wool! Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us...Sending hugs and love your way!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love it, Kelly-Anne, and if you lived close by I could loan you my wheel so you could learn to spin before deciding which type you want to buy.. :)

      Delete
  9. Oh My Goodness Toni! You'd never get me out of that yarn shop!!!
    And I have to say I love the bronze look around the edges of your hydrangea bush... and the black iris is so gorgeous!
    So happy you had a lovely visit with your sisters! That's what summertime is all about!
    With Love,
    Danette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danette! It was so much fun to spend a day visiting the yarn stores. And oh my, I wish you could have joined us. :)

      Delete
  10. Wow, now that is a shop ! I love the black iris !

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and your sisters must all be cut from the same cloth, so to speak. :) Love that iris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sort of true, Linda. One sister doesn't knit, but she enjoys going along for the ride and occasionally receives knitted items from yarn she chooses.

      Delete
  12. Looks like the perfect girls' day out to me. I shudder to think of my own sisters' reaction if I tried to take them to a yarn shop :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you must find other "sisters" to go there with. ;) I'm usually on my own, too. This trip is not like our usual day together.

      Delete
  13. I love the photo of your black iris. The yarn shop sounds like a great place to visit. I enjoyed the beautiful pictures and the posting. I would love to go to this shop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh Wow-I would love that store-I have never lived any where to visit a shop with weaving and spinning and all those sheep-love it

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a neat shop!! I would love to have some yarn stores in our area!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi,
    beautiful photos!! wow ....the yarn shop is great.I wish i had a yarn shop in my area. beautiful iris!
    have a nice time,
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those sheep! Wow... They are beautiful ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!