Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Help the Birds Knit




Birds knit...and without any needles so why not give them the option of something with a bit of...style. Their nests are knitted works of art, and to help them in the quest for nesting material this spring I'm providing a plate of sky blue Kool-Aid dyed wool and small pieces of dishcloth yarn that have been cut from the beginnings and tails of my recent projects. I can't wait to check all the trees in my yard in the fall when the leaves drop off to see if it was actually used in their nests.

9 comments:

  1. What a cool idea, let us know what happens. I live in an apt and someone would just throw it away if I did that ;P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for the birds! seen any hummingbirds yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the birds will love that, and thank you. I did the same thing last spring, left a few strands of yarn on the deck, but I think it was after nest building time, or they didn't like my offering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in Knoxville, and now it is too hot to knit with wool!I got a late start with knitting(middle age)still learning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to add my yarn ends to the offerings... I usually put out the lint from the dryer for them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a dopey question: Just WHERE do you leave the fuzz ball for the birds to grab?

    I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a good idea! I'll have to set some out by my bird feeders and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that is a great idea also. What kinds of birds like it?? All kinds?? I'll have to see which ones like it more, but finding the colors later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is so cool!
    thanks for sharing the idea :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!