It's been used to dye wool a green color so I, actually, gathered some and prepared a dyebath for a skein of wool, but it didn't take. I don't know what went wrong as I followed the directions closely - Oh well... it's a beautiful plant regardless.
Meantime, I gathered some appropriate fabrics for a little project.
I used the directions at marthastewart.com to make some fall themed pincushions, changing the stem appropriately for a pumpkin. For each pincushion just cut and sew the small, rectangular strips of fabric, as directed, (By hand if you like since there is very little sewing to be done.) together at the ends then cinch with embroidery thread to form the pumpkin shape. This project is so easy I think young girls would enjoy it, too.
I love it when something useful like a pincushion looks good and can be used for decoration, also.
I used a dried shoot from our Bartlett pear tree for the stems, but you can use any type you have available or even pieces cut from a 3/4 to 1-inch wooden dowel. Just saw the branch or dowel into 1-inch pieces and hot-melt glue them in place. I think they look much better than using felt for stems.
As you can see they must be quite fun to make as I did get carried away a bit.
For now they're gracing the dry sink in my kitchen. I'll probably let them out to earn their keep as the real pincushions they are when I bring out my big ceramic Thanksgiving turkey and put it in their place.
Update: Most of these have been gifted out and are being used as pincushions now. :)
All summer long this li'l bird, an American Goldfinch has watched from the top of the pear tree for other birds at the birdbath to clear away before diving for a drink. He's so timid and watchful.
And a beauty.
Linking to: The Art of Home-Making Mondays