Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Birds, Poison Ivy & Dinner


Greetings and Happy Spring from the foothills of the Smokies!

 This bluebird is taking a break from building a nest in a box that we put on this old tree along our pasture fence line. They're the first birds I've seen nesting so far this spring.

 The female was busy gathering straw from another spot in the pasture.

 As she gathered straw he kept watch for dangerous interlopers. O.o
 Bluebirds are my all-time favorite bird. If you'd like them to frequent your yard all you have to supply is water (birdbath) and a nesting box placed 5-6 ft high on a post, tree or side of a building. You don't have to feed them as they'll catch bugs on their own. 

  Behind our garage we have an area where we let whatever grow that wills. It's not a large area, but it's natural habitat for the birds that prefer thick undergrowth ... ( The white barrels catch rain water that runs off the garage roof for watering my raised beds.)
 Like this white-throated sparrow. It's easy to recognize this bird by the yellow spot in front of its eyebrow. (Click the picture to see it better.)

We have a row of  evergreen trees that provide year-round cover and nesting spots for several species of birds in nesting season.

 This dark-eyed junco searches the ground for seeds that the other birds drop from the feeder.

 In the same area is this bamboo stand, not for the birds, but to use as stakes in the garden when the trunks get big enough to support plants.

 Yesterday we made our annual trek to a family owned pharmacy in a nearby town for these little bottles of Rhus Tox. If you've never heard of it, it's a homeopathic inoculation for poison ivy, taken by mouth. It, actually, contains a bit of oil from the poison ivy plant. Goodman takes this each spring to prevent getting the dreaded rash from working near poison ivy. It works great!

What's for dinner ... fried swai, red beans, wilted lettuce and hush puppies. That. was. good. Have a great week, Y'all!

Shared at:  The Art of Home-Making Mondays, Roses of Inspiration

34 comments:

  1. We have had swai and liked it very much...you are a good cook! Hush Puppies also sound delicious.
    I am wondering if we might do the rhus tox for our son who does our hay. He seems to get it every year, and I am fortunate, but I haven't had it for years now. We've been taking photos of the bluebirds for a week now, but they are through the glass and not high quality :( I am SO glad they are taking over the nests we have out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqueline! The Rhus Tox has taken the grief out of working around our place for my husband. And it only cost $20 - really worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bluebirds are so delightful. We have big scrub jays that live in our urban neighborhood. I don't mind that they eat the fruit at the top of my trees. Their entertaining antics are worth every morsel of fruit they eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay, I've never seen a scrub jay, but they sound fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos of bluebirds! I wish we could have them here because they are extremely beautiful. What a nice shade of blue they sport!
    Happy Spring~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from Michigan. I always enjoy seeing all your lovely photo. The bird photo are all fantastic. Neat to visit your farm down South. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Alhana! I never get tired of seeing those bluebirds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Judy! I'm really enjoying being outside again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your birds and the habitat around them are beautiful Your plate of food looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Kathleen! We enjoy the birds immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The birds are so pretty! And all your plants too. I have wanted a rain barrel or two for a few years now. Your supper plate looks delicious!

    Have a great night.

    :)Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Vicki! My husband installed the rain barrels just last year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your birdie pictures~ especially the bluebirds!! *squeal*
    Never heard of Rhus Tox~ I definitely need to find some of that.
    And dinner looks good~ wish I had been invited! *haha*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Paula! You're invited to dinner anytime you can come down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi there! thanks for finding my spot and leaving a comment!

    saw the 'poison ivy' in your title and was all ready to recommend rhustox as a remedy! it has saved my life! about 19 yrs ago, i had such a bad case of poison ivy (bleeding sores!) and ended up having to take steroid shots and prescription creams each time i was exposed thereafter. a friend suggested rhus tox. i have built up a good tolerance against poison ivy! SO grateful as i have plenty of exposure here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, it sounds like you get poison ivy like Goodman used to before the rhus tox. So glad you both found relief!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh, I love bluebirds! You got some beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely photos!
    Nice to see. Happy WBW!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful bluebirds! Have a great day!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great series of photos. The Bluebirds are beautiful and it must be great to have them in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The eastern bluebird is such a pretty bird and you got some wonderful shots of it. Your dinner looks and sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't seen a white throated sparrow, so that image is an extra special treat.

    Ewwwwww, poison ivy. You know what they say about power of suggestion, right? Guess what...I'm itchy!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, you lucky girl -- I LOVE bluebirds. When my boys were little, we loved a book called Bluebirds Seven published by the Oregon Audoubon Society. It's a fabulous little book! http://www.amazon.com/Bluebirds-Seven-Paintings-Bruce-Horsfall/dp/0931686032

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love the bluebirds, my favorite bird. I have never had swai, it looks tasty! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice pics of the blue birds they are a bit different than our western bluebirds. Dinner looks yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your little blue birds are lovely!
    We have a nesting box and I've seen a pair that were building but I suspect some wrens ran them out. I'm still hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi there - thats a nice collection of birds - none of which I expect to see this year!! I'll have to make do with digital sightings!

    Cheers

    Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much for a really nice post!
    I love your birds! We're starting to see a lot of nest building around here, too (Florida).
    And after viewing your last image, I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful bluebirds... we don't get them here in the city, but I love seeing them in the country. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never seen a bluebird. They don't travel to where we've lived.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have some lovely birds nearby! We also have a good following but I don't know all their names (bad homeschooling mother!!!) .. Perhaps one day I will post them and see if you folks can help me identify them. There are some real cuties out there!!! I will be offline for the rest of the week and wanted to wish you a beautiful weekend of fellowship!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't think we have bluebirds in my yard but I get Blue Jays...the really large beautiful birds. I am so intrigued by the Rhus Tox. I have to try it. I am so afraid of going out in my garden this year because of a severe case of poison ivy I got last year. I have to investigate online!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh how I love seeing the beautiful birds. You certainly have some lovely ones that visit you.

    It's always a blessing to have you share your posts with Roses of Inspiration - thank you, dear Toni. May you have a blessed Resurrection Sunday! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!