Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Monday, April 22, 2013

Rosy, Just Rosy

Hello from the hills!

 We've already had daytime temperatures in the low 80s so the spring blooms continue popping out all over the yard.

 Our cabbages have begun to grow. Of course, the cabbage moths showed up soon after these were planted, but I have an old badminton racket that I use to take care of that problem. o.O

 A few days ago I spotted this gorgeous rose breasted grosbeak on the shepherd's hook that holds a feeder in the backyard. It was the first time I'd ever seen one. This is the only picture I was able to manage that day, but ....

I sat down at my kitchen window this morning to watch just in case he returned and was not disappointed. 

 Such a beautiful bird! He did enjoy some black oil sunflower seeds although the feeder was a bit small for his liking.

 I've started crocheting a rug for my kitchen and am taking pictures, but I'm not quite finished with it, yet. I hope to show you all about that in a week or so.

Until then, don't forget to stop and smell the lilacs!

14 comments:

  1. oh, those lilacs! we don't have them here in texas and i miss them from my wisconsin youth. SO potent in their aroma!

    love the rose-breasted grosbeak, too. have seen only one here passing through one winter. :)

    thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from the Far North.... VBG OH how I would LOVE to see My Lilac bushes blooming... Just buds.. YOURs are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo very very pretty....and the birds are a JOY to see... I can hardly wait to see the photos of that crocheted kitchen rug.Have a lovely week.. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Lilac blossoms!!! We don't have them this far south and I truly miss the Springtime fragrance. Lucky you.

    As for your Rose Grosbeak...aren't they ever so pretty?!!! I've only seen ONE here this Spring, and it didn't cooperate with my lens. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great flowers!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you to have such a beautiful and colorful new friend! It must like your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay~ so good to hear from you!!
    The cabbages look great... yours are so far ahead of ours.
    I saw a grosbeak for the first and only time 2 years ago... sadly, it only stayed around for a couple of weeks and it hasn't been back since. The males are so beautiful!
    Take care... ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blooms and you have such pretty birds there! Cant wait to see your rug when you are finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Temperatures in the 80's sound wonderful! Your plants are doing great! I hope our lilac blooms this year.

    Have a great week.

    :)Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow -- you're WAY ahead of us for spring -- my lilacs usually bloom around the middle of May -- this year they'll probably be a little later. That bird is gorgeous, I don't think I've ever seen one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, I would love to see you taking care of those moths with your badmington racket. ;-)
    Spring is all over the place here too. Sadly I can't enjoy it at all due to my allergies. I envy you so much!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hah, I think playing badminton with the cabbage moths sounds like fun...tho maybe not so much for the moths. ;-Þ

    The bird is beautiful! I've never seen one before, other than in pictures.

    All your pictures are lovely, as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really do have a lovely blog...I have never seen a Rose Grosbeak here in IN, but I am so happy you caught these pictures :) Our lilac buds are very tight yet, but it won't be long...it won't stay cold for very much longer! So much for global warming;)
    Your colors for the braid rug are gorgeous! The china blue is perfect. what company do you get your rag from, and is it hard to sew into an oval?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw 3 rabbits in my garden, so I am sending them to your house to keep and eye on that pretty head of cabbage !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our warmer weather has sprouted up the thistle...I have my work cut out for me! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!