Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Cooler Weather and the Big Snow Job

Howdy from the hills!
I'm thrilled to report that we got rain \0/ and are enjoying much, much cooler temperatures.
Blue Morning Glory on the pasture fence.

We're still harvesting our beloved Rutger's and heirloom Beefsteak tomatoes, but they're definitely slowing down and ripening before they get very large.   The tiny ones are cherry tomatoes from a volunteer that popped up beside one of our raised beds.

I picked up this linen tablecloth at a garage sale a few years ago for $4, and I love it.

Goodman took a few days off work a couple of weeks ago so we could have a full day to visit our favorite apple orchard, Kyle Carver Orchard in Cosby, Tenn..   I always love seeing this covered bridge built in 1875 as we pass by it on our way to the orchard.

We enjoyed their mighty fine catfish dinner in the restaurant.

Arkansas Black apples were for sale, among many, many others.  I know, not black, lol.

I got a li'l grouping of gourds and a few bags of apples, but mostly we just like the yearly trip with all its autumn-ness.  Is there an apple orchard in your neck o' the woods?

I couldn't resist giving this goosey-looking gourd an eyeball.

My glass pumpkins are a daily joy to look at.  I keep them out until Thanksgiving is over then store them until the following October.

The hydrangeas sprouted new buds as soon as we got rain a few weeks ago, but it won't be long until they'll be frozen and sleeping for the winter. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THE BIG SNOW JOB:
a.k.a. Daylight Savings Time
My state is going to vote on staying on DST permanently.  Whaa??

Why?  
The reason isn't what people have been told for years, that it helps the farmers. That's always been a full-of-baloney statement.  Farmers think it's stupid as most of them get up long before daylight anyway.  Businessmen are the only ones wanting DST permanently because folks are out and about spending  money until later in the day on it.
What they aren't considering are the busloads of kids that never see the light of day at their bus stops. Some kids have parents that wait with them in the dark of the morning, but 
A LOT OF THEM DON'T. 
I'm convinced we have lily-livered  politicians that simply don't care as long as goods are sold and money is made.  
And, yes, that burns my hide. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have a great week, y'all!


22 comments:

  1. We are/were supposed to be voting on that as well. Just rcvd. ballots in the mail yesterday but haven't opened them to see if it made the list.
    You are still getting tomatoes! Wow. I won't tell hubby, he will be jealous. :-) Ours froze a couple weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure our tomatoes will be frozen by this time next week so I may be picking the green ones for a relish. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Hello, love the glass pumpkins and gourds. The food look yummy. I would love to see that covered bridge. Great photos. Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, I would love to see the bridges in your neck of the woods, too, Eileen. I've never been in New England other than a few of the bigger airports. My husband has as yet no idea what I have planned for when he retires. heehee

      Delete
    2. I have to say retirement is great, best decision I ever made. I love traveling. We do have some covered bridges in Maryland, a lot in Pennsylvania.

      Delete
  3. Oh, that a beautiful bridge. I’d love to see it.
    There are no apple orchards here. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apple orchards! That is sad indeed, Nil. If you are ever in Tennessee in the fall you must visit a few of ours. They are wonderful.

      Delete
  4. I am sick of hearing about Brexit .
    I do like your glass pumpkins . I have a pear tree in my garden but don't get many pears from it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I don't own a TV and don't listen to "mainstream" news so Brexit doesn't bother me.
      About the pear tree...you need another one. We had two then cut one down so now the pears are few in number.
      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  5. Love your whole post and thoroughly agree about the DST! I, too, drew an eye on the gooseneck gourds-Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerrie! It's great to hear from you. :) I hope you are doing well. I wish my state would vote to trash DST altogether and go back to the way it used to be years ago.

      Delete
  6. Autumn is a special season and what a lovely day you had. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment so I could find your blog, too. :)

      Delete
  7. Love your autumn harvest haul and that old wooden bridge! Apples and pumpkins just make my mouth water. We don't have apple orchards in my little corner (no water enough for them to grow), but instead we have orange, pomegranate and date palm trees. Harvesting will start in the next weeks, I hope. :-)
    Enjoy the cooler weather and rain, it has been a long and exhausting summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alhana! I didn't know apples & pumpkins don't grow in your country. Goodman loves apples, but I don't. I would gladly trade them for oranges and dates. Yum! I hope the harvest will be amazing.

      Delete
    2. They do grow in rainier parts of the country, but my province's soil and climate aren't suitable for that kind of produce. Only dry land crops can grow in my very dry Mediterranean corner. ;-)

      Delete
  8. So many, many things we wish would be like they used to be! Ah! Love your colors, so bright and lovely. I am convinced that God created flowers, fruits and sunsets purely for our well-being and so we can smile! Isn't He the most awesome God! Thank you so much for sharing. Blessings. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle. I agree, God is awesome.
      Thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  9. Now I am hungry! I love wooden covered bridges too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I envy you living in the Smoky Mountains. It is where I want to be. Being close to Nashville was nice years ago but it has grown too big too fast from the people migrating from California, New York and Illinois. Don't blame them for moving though.

    As for Daylight savings time, I vote that is is permanent. I'm tired of always forgetting and ending up either too early or too late for church. One year I change the clocks and so did my husband. We arrived two hours late! I just pretended like we were leaving.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie, folks are moving to our area in droves, too. I don't blame them either. Time change has been a debacle the whole time it was implemented, but at least now it won't change after next spring. (Trying to see the bright side. :) Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!