Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Thursday, October 3, 2019

Falling Leaves, A New Book and Flu Shots

Hello from the foothills where we are eagerly awaiting cooler, fall-like temperatures.  I've decked out my Singer treadle machine with pumpkin pincushions to welcome fall...if it ever gets here. lol


It's been hot, very hot.

Leaves have been falling from our Sugar Maple trees from lack of moisture without turning the usual yellow or orange.  Sadly, they're a gnarly black as above or just brown as below.

I recently bought a book that I wish I'd had sooner.   The Backyard Pharmacy Book is by the same author as the Be Your Own "Doctor" book, and it's a real gem in the herbal remedy genre.  (Side note:  There is also a Be Your Own Pediatrician book by the same author that I hope to get someday.)

The author is very knowledgeable on the subject of herbs and how to administer them for optimal benefit. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

True Flu $hot $tory:

For many years Goodman worked for a company that supplied their employees with flu shots at no personal cost.  He didn't want to miss workdays at home in bed so his work ethic bade him to get the shot, until looking back, he noticed that he came down with the flu every year he got the shot, but didn't get sick when he didn't get the shot.  And he wasn't the only one, either. 0.0  Hmm

I've done a lot of reading over the years about flu shots.   Mind you, I've never had one, but I've never had the flu, either.  Some people think they have the flu when they get a bad cold, but unless you have a temperature and a host of other symptoms, you don't have the flu.

Did you know there are so many sub-strains of the flu that there is no way this side of heaven to prevent a flu epidemic even if every last person on earth got the shot?  No one can see into the future to know which strain will be going around or even IF a strain will be going around.  It's that simple.

What's not simple is the math involved:
Did you know that flu shots are a nearly 2 billion dollar annual industry in the U.S. alone?  That's a lot of money.


p.s.  For the glass pumpkin lovers, there are similar ones in three colors at this site.

Would you believe I've never used any tea lights with them.  I'm so enamored with the colors I just never thought to do it until today.

They're okay, but I think they're the most colorful in natural light without the candles.


Have a great rest o' the week Y'all!

19 comments:

  1. I've never had a flu shot either - nor do I get the flu. I want to look in our local shop for "Be Your Own Dr." but still haven't made it in. (I actually have a few books I'd like- just haven't had time.).
    I love love love those glass pumpkins! Where did you find those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the pumpkins at Hobby Lobby 8 or so years ago. Every year I check to see if they have more like them but so far they haven't. I'll let you know if I spot them anywhere.

      Delete
  2. Those pumpkins, both pincushions and glass ones, are really pretty.

    It’s still very warm here. I hope we soon have cooler temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nil. I love fall and can't wait for cooler temperatures. I hope cool winds come your way soon.

      Delete
  3. Good morning from HOT east Texas. They keep promising a cold front!!!! When oh when??? I am so very happy to hear your story about Goodman. I had a flu shot many many years ago at work and became so ill I missed a week of work. Doc said next year I would not get sick because it was "in my system." Umhum! Stupidly, I took another and spent another week in bed. That was in the 90s. I have never had another and aha! never had the flu! Imagine that! Love your posts. Your pumpkins are wonderful! I see my confederate rose has hundreds of blooms, a good indication (for me; no one believes me) that Fall is coming quite soon. It is so good to know there are others like me who really pay attention to their bodies and nature. Blessings. Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same here, Michelle, promises that haven't happened yet, but we are hopeful. Thank you for sharing your experience with flu shots. I'm agin' em. ;) I would love to see your confederate rose. It sounds glorious. Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  4. Loving all your fall decorations! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. We love chocolate, too.
      Love your profile ID. :)

      Delete
  5. I agree, the glass pumpkins look more colourful in natural daylight, but they are lovely as well with candles. Luckily you can enjoy both AND pincushion pumpkins as well. I love them all!
    About the flu shots, I fall ill every winter with or without having them —I have always been a sickly child. Nothing than a homemade broth soup and lots of sleep can't cure tho. ;-)
    It's warm here too, although not as hot as in the summer, and after September's terrible rainfalls we are suffering a mosquito plague. Can't wait for a real autumn/fall too.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alhana!
      I'm sorry to hear about the mosquitoes. They are indeed a plague. And I hope you will remain healthy through the winter months this year. Oh goodness, homemade soup sounds delicious. :)

      Delete
  6. PS - thank you for finding pumpkins for us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, love the pumpkins. The glass pumpkins with the tea lights are lovely. I ever did get the fly shot, just for the reason that I might get the flu. So far, I have been lucky. We are having cooler temps now, but really need some rain. Enjoy your day, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen! I was glad to hear the wedding went well.

      Delete
  8. Our autumn has been super hot, too, but now they're forecasting frost tomorrow night! Your treadle must be happy to host such lovely pumpkins, and I agree with you about the flu shot-nasty stuff!
    Love, Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marqueta. It's supposed to turn quite cold here at night, too. I do hope it doesn't freeze my tomatoes though. I may have to pick them early just in case. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. I feel the same way you do about flu shots. I don't get them , but my husband has in the past and he noted that he frequently had a reaction to the shot and sometimes even still got the flu. He stopped them as well. Thanks for sharing the books! I want to get the pediatrician one for my adult children with kids.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Judee. It seems a lot of people who get the shots are affected by them adversely, but they still get the shots anyway. Makes my eyes cross, lol. The biggest problem I didn't mention is that the shots often contain mercury or/and alumunum. Yikes.

      Delete
  10. I haven't ever had a flu shot either. This year at my check-up my doctor was quite insistent that I get one. I stood firm. I would rather take my chances than have who knows what chemicals pumped into my body.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you for standing your ground! I'm so glad they're getting a little resistance on the flu shots. We are still in charge of our own health so we should resist what we know is harmful.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!