Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ackk, Save Me...er Won't You Save My Sanity and Buy My House AS IS?

Hey y'all. (she says in a li'l shaky voice) It's been a long, long summer. I'm sure it feels that way because every time we've started a new face lift project on this old farmhouse it grewwwww into two or three times what we thought it would be. Argh, and so we trudge onward. Ha, one good thing - downsizing - feels pretty good. I've sold two spinning wheels that I haven't touched in nearly ten years, among other things. Squee.... I can actually walk to the bookcase in my bedroom now. Smiles. Uh, no, I didn't sell any yarn. I'm not that insane; just a little less encumbered of things I don't need. That part is really heartening.

Now, on to fun stuff. Our garden is still producing nicely.

Woohoo, Peach croustade. You can get the recipe for a strawberry/blueberry one here. I've made this with just plain strawberries, too, and it's delicious. But the best part is it's tasty without a lot of sugar. ;)

I've dabbled a little in the dye pot/bowl lately just to clear the rotted-wood cobwebs out of my head.
I love this super soft yarn, but I wanted these skeins to be a deeper, bluer purple.
So I first over-dyed it with a heaping teaspoonful of Wilton’s Royal icing color in the microwave. Alas, it came out too blue.
Then I over dyed again with 1/4 teaspoon Wilton’s Black and 1 teaspoon of Violet. The true color is actually darker than the picture, and I’m really happy with it now. Destined to soon become Fetching.
Oh, I can't wait till Fall, Y'all. Bring it on! :)

15 comments:

  1. Hi Tea, I'm so relieved you think its interesting enough to stop by. I'm always afraid it's too boring. Who wants to read what you write. I'm amazed and feel so blessed by all the Friends I've made.
    I'm glad you stopped by tonight too. You're now entered in my giveaway!
    If ya sell your house..where will you all go? Another blog friend is moving from one state to an eastern beach front. They were on vacation and saw the house came home and found their bid was accepted!
    Love the shade of yarn. You have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving is a very stressful thing to do from my experience but it does give you the push you need to get rid of a lot of "stuff".
    when you sell where are you off to next, do you have a target?
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could, I would buy your house, "as is" and move there!! It is beautiful country, and I've always dreamed of owning an old home that I "redo". What am I saying? I haven't redone anything that I've planned on doing here!!

    Definitely a challenge!! Where are ya'll planning on moving to next?

    Good job on the yarn!! Love that deep purple!!

    I scanned down and checked out your recipes (as usual). I know that the squash recipe is in the future. My son doesn't particularly care for squash, but I'd bet that he'll eat it. What he doesn't know won't hurt him!!

    Miss you!!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your yarn is really beautiful. I love how it turned out. It's always nice to clean out some clutter. It looks like your garden is doing really well. Pretty picture.

    ~ Missy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! I have never attempted to dye any yarn. Now your Fetching will turn out just like mine! Isn't it thrilling? :-D
    Oh, look at all that yummy food. You should advertise your house with those pictures and you'll get a bunch of buyers soon.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks Y'all, we'll get through this renovating; it's just such a time consumer, and I like to get things over with quickly. I don't handle that very well... The Lord is merciful, though, and will surely send us a buyer soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moving is stressful indeed, good that you have your garden and your yarn to keep you sane! I love the pics of your veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see your tomatoes are still doin' good. That picture alone is enough to make your mouth water. Then you scroll further and view peaches and cream on a crustada. Where's my apple crumb pie...
    The yarn does look good, I bet you'll enjoy those mitts:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tea...thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hi. I haven't done any dying, it's on my list and hopefully I'll bump it off one of these days.
    It's wonderful to see pictures of your beautiful country...it certainly looks like a wonderful place to spend some quiet time.
    take care....suki

    ReplyDelete
  10. pretty maters ! I just bought a dozen
    mason jars marked down at Walmart !
    When you get them filled for me,
    I will pick them up !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Tea, you have been busy!! We are also doing some thinning. We are having an antique sale here next weekend. Your yarn is beautiful, can't wait to see the Fetchings, they are on my list too!! :)
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have won the versital blogger award on my blog.

    http://lifeaintalwaysbeautiful-blog.blogspot.com/2010/09/versatile-blogger-award.html

    I hope you are having a great weekend.

    ~ Missy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm jealous of your wonderful produce! Did you grow your own peaches as well?

    You did a great dyeing job....how did you ever know to over dye with black...you are so smart!

    happy fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always, I love this post too! I need to draw inspiration from you and get rid of some of my stuff that I haven't used in years (except, of course, yarn). And the tinkering with the dyes turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tea! Just wanted to stop by and see how all is going. If you sell your house..where are you moving to?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!