Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Frugal Bugle, Pt. 1

Hello from the foothills!

I'm concerned about wasting anything that I could use for another purpose. And I'm really concerned about paying the high dollars for cleaners that aren't even safe for us to breathe or handle. So, I've done some research and found homemade cleaners are actually easy to make. A few months back I read about a homemade cleaner that could be made with white vinegar and thinly pared orange peels. I love the scent of orange oil so I gave it a try.

I've put the peels of 5 or 6 oranges in this quart jar with enough vinegar to cover them well and set it aside to steep for 2-3 weeks. It starts to smell very nice after just 1 week.
The idea for this cleaner is from the blogger at Just Like My Nan Made.


When the cleaner is ready pour it into a spray bottle and spritz it onto a dust cloth or mop as you clean.

8 comments:

  1. Hello to the Smokies!!! I'm so glad you stopped by today. It's cold, cloudy, and even snow showers right now, but you made it a little brighter! I also have to let you know that I do stop in, but with helpin with Dad and now Mom's a little under the weather I don't have time to post, but I do stop 8o) Sorry to hear bout you GrandDaughter, but glad she's home and doin better. And, yes I know, first hand, there are 2 pnuemonias.
    2 Christmases ago I had Bacterial Pnuemonia from Dec. 26th til 2 weeks after Valentines. They said it was a side effect of my mold allergy..it allowed bacteria to grow in my lungs. I refused the Hosp, but man I was in bed practically 24/7

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try it but I am not sure I am allowed to try that kind of experiments at home. Let us know how does it turn out.
    On the other hand, I am glad your grand-daughter is getting better. A great thing to give thanks for. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to try your orange cleaner. I love the smell (and taste)of oranges, plus since I can no longer (reflux problems) eat them I might as well clean with them ;)

    Pneumonia is no fun...takes a real long time to recover. Glad your granddaughter is better:) Hope the rest of the holidays will be much healthier for all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm very sorry your little grand one was so sick :( That's frightening.
    Glad she's on the mend! I've been a little sick myself lately and it's not any fun. How's your tendonitis
    doing? Hope your muscles are healing up quick-like.
    Neat idea for the cleaning solution. I bet that smells really good - I love orange peel smell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was a scary deal with pneumonia ! I enjoy frugal tips ! Winter is over- I just got 2 seed catalogs in the mail !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your little granddaughter is feeling much much better now, pneumonia is certainly not a good thing.

    Thank you so much for the natural cleaner recipe and are going to try this one for sure!:) I will let you know how it works for me.

    Take care and will chat with you soon.

    Smiles♥

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello from Michigan. I would like to wish you and your family a very happy and healthy new year down there in the smoky Mts. I truly have enjoyed reading your blog this past year. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also did this with lemon peels and lavender flowers. Both smelled wonderful and were used with great results. Thanks for sharing this post on Make Your Own Herbal Monday :) and Happy Homemaking!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!